The world is unfortunately not a hunky-dory kind place. There are too many anti-social elements to count. Unfortunately, children are not free from exposure to anti-social elements. Did you know that at least 1 in 7 children of the USA have experienced child abuse or neglect? Alarming, isn’t it?
So, how do you play an active role in protecting your children and ensuring the needs of kids are met. Caring of babies is of utmost importance, so is understanding the behavior of kids older than 3.
Read this article to get some tips on what you can do to ensure your kids are protected and feel safe.
Tips and Role You Can Play to Protect Children
To protect your children, you need to follow various tips in different places. You’ll find the tips for school, home, neighborhood and emergency enlisted here.
Safety of Your Kids at Home
You might think your kid is always safe at home. However, neglect child abuse often stems from the home front. Further, if both parents are working, the child might be alone at home. So, it’s necessary to follow the following tips to ensure your child’s safety on the home front:
- Ensure your child knows the home address, contact number, emergency number, your contact details.
- You must have a trusted adult who your child can reach out to in case of an emergency
- Ensure you choose a nanny or caregiver who is experienced, trustworthy and reliable
- Listen to your kid empathetically when they come to with any problems regarding the caregiver, neglect, bullying, or any other issue
Safety of Your Kids at School
A school is a place your kids go without you. You might wonder how to keep them safe when you aren’t close to them. Here are some tips to ensure their safety when they go off to school.
- It’s a good idea to build a rapport with your kid’s teachers and fellow parents to have a safety chain
- Ensure your child’s name is written on all their school property carefully. Preferably put only last name, so that first name is not visible easily to a potential abuser.
- Further, you must guide your child for the school walking route or bus route to ensure they know safe spots in case of emergencies.
- Make sure your child can communicate distress to the teachers or other parents in school in your absence
Safety of Your Kids In the Neighborhood
Your child’s safety in the neighborhood is of utmost importance. This is so that they have a comfort zone for playing with peers and feel protected. You can do the following to ensure their protection in your neighborhood:
- Ensure your child knows the neighborhood boundaries and landmarks.
- Develop interaction with neighbors and have safe houses for your kids to visit
- Don’t leave your kids alone in marketplaces, fairs, bus stands, parks, railway stations, or others
- Ensure you don’t leave your kid unattended in automobiles. Plus, ensure they don’t ask strangers for a ride
- Educated your child that they must ask for your permission before they go anywhere
- Tell them that they do not have to give direction to any adult. Any adult asking a child for directions is probably tricking them
Safety of Your Kids During Emergencies
Emergencies are inevitable. God forbid, if anything happens to you or your kid, there are things you must keep handy to ensure your kid’s safety:
- Ensure you have your kid’s id copy and recent photographs. Ensure they have your id copy and photographs
- Make sure you have your child’s medical records handy
- Most importantly, you and your child must know not to panic
Protecting kids and ensuring the needs of kids are adequately met is essential. It is also important to understand the behavior of kids and analyze it. This helps you know if they are going through any form of abuse or neglect.
You can ensure your child is protected by ensuring their safety at home, in the neighborhood, at school, and in emergencies. Following the tips given for each will help you ensure your child’s safety.
So, Follow the tips and play an active role in protecting your children.